Simple Ways to Live a Healthy Lifestyle…
and to make sure your kids are too!
June Topic: Toddlers 101
Toddlers are cute, loving, funny and sweet...and sometimes difficult. From tantrums to potty training and bedtime, we as parents want to make sure they are safe and happy. Here are some quick toddler tips on potty training:
- Have a potty chair and make it one of your child’s favorite possessions
- Discuss and practice runs/potty sits.
- “Good try” when they don’t go. Response to accidents should be positive, loving and upbeat
- Praise and reward when they do!
- Don’t begin toilet training until your child is clearly ready.
- Avoid trying to start potty training during stressful times or periods of change for your family like moving, changing daycares, having another baby
- Transfer all responsibility to the child. Tell the child that it is her body, and "the pee and poop belong to you." Tell him/her that she doesn't need anybody to help her anymore, that it's up to her.
- Make the child think that using the toilet is his idea rather than reminding him to go.
Keep your kids healthy with valuable tips and information from experts at Children's Hospital Colorado. For more information visit www.childrenscolorado.org