The Stir asked for some adults' worst teacher stories from the "old days:
1. My homeroom teacher slapped me in the face in 10th grade.
2. Does being told in class that my parents are "poor dirt farmers" count? Sixth grade history teacher, class full of students, and all of my friends and I were so shocked we're still not sure what the context was ... just that he said it!
3. We had a teacher who literally yelled at the students in class, telling them they are stupid each time a student asks a question. Fast forward to test, everyone fails, then the teacher proceeds to literally yell at all the students calling them stupid because they didn't ask questions!
4. My fourth grade teacher smoked in class. True story.
5. My history teacher/homeroom teacher (later became superintendent) made us squat down, put our thumbs under our armpits, and walk from his desk to the lockers across the hall and back again for as many times as he saw fit for doing something he didn't see fit. He also made us stand in a garbage pail in the hall outside of his room and added books to the top of our head to hold on to!
6. We had an ancient math teacher, who was in her 47th year of teaching, who wore the SAME dress every single day and threw pieces of chalk at kids' heads when they didn't have the right answer.
7. I was slapped in the face and yanked up by my arm by one of my teachers when I was younger for trying to help another kid pick up his crayons that fell on the ground!
8. One male teacher told me in front of the class that the only way I would ever be rich is if I won the lotto or married rich.
9. My fifth grade teacher announced in front of the entire class that I'd failed a test because she didn't like smart girls, and I usually had all A's.
Steve said that he had a physical altercation with a PE teacher. The teacher gave the class the option of basketball or wrestling one day. Under his breath, Steve said that wrestling sucked. The teacher heard him and took him out in the hall and pinned him up against the wall and slammed his head! Steve also had a nun make him spit in a bucket for an hour after cussing in class.
Slacker said he was touring a school and making stupid comments. The teacher giving the tour heard him and asked him if he wanted to repeat his comment. When Slacker did, the guy grabbed him and slammed him against the lockers. When Slacker actually went to that school he became close with that teacher and the guy didn’t remember doing it.
What is the worst thing a teacher ever did to you?