photo courtesy of www.freedigitalphotos.com
Think you might be in it for the long haul with your new guy? You better make a good impression with his parents then. Remember these tips, and you'll be part of the family in no time:
- Don't show up empty handed: Flowers, cookies, a bottle of wine, whatever ... just make sure you show up with a little something that lets his parents know you have manners and you care about what they think of you.
- Dress appropriately: Let your style shine through – just make sure you aren't over doing it or looking sloppy.
- Offer to help: If his mom is cooking, offer your assistance, and be sure to help with any clean up.
- Talk to them: They can't get to know you if you act like a shy wallflower. Steer clear of controversial topics (like politics), but engage them in a discussion that you know will spark their interest.
- Send them a thank you note: Yup, in the mail. It's polite and sweet, but it also shows that you took time out of your busy schedule for them and that's a surefire way to let them know you care. (Cosmo)
Slacker recalls when he met his ex-girlfriends mom for the first time. She was wearing sunglasses and kept bumping into everything! He did not say anything to her about the sunglasses, even when his girlfriend allowed him and the mom alone time. Once the mom noticed, the girlfriend and her mom laughed at Slacker for not saying anything.
Do you have a "meet the rents" catastrophe?